I’m back from my vacation and the news has piled up at my door. This week I learned that our beloved Gen Con is extending their contract with Indianapolis through 2023.
The city is building 2 new hotels and promises a swath of technological upgrades that will help support larger conventions like Gen Con.
“New hotel developments, along with Indy’s desire for technological upgrades, have made our decision to extend with Indianapolis an easy choice,” said David Hoppe, Gen Con President. “We’re enthusiastic to extend our contract with Indy until 2023, as this new hotel development is a game-changer for Gen Con and will allow us to continue our record-breaking expansion. We’d like to thank the Indy CIB, Mayor Hogsett and his team, the hard-working folks at Visit Indy, and the business leaders of Indianapolis for their continued foresight and commitment to making Indy the top destination for conventions in North America.”
Gen Con broke its attendance record last year with over 60,000 fans filling the halls to check out over 520 game companies, more than 600 new games, 17,000 ticketed events, and a ton of exciting events at the Lucas Oil Stadium.You can look forward to even more programming at the stadium as Gen Con focuses on it as the new hub of convention growth.
“When the JW Marriott Indianapolis opened in 2011, our convention was able to expand and support a record number of guests, which at the time was about 37,000 attendees,” said David Hoppe, Gen Con President. “Now, seven years later, Gen Con has nearly doubled in attendance, and we’re confident that the newly announced lodging additions in Indy will let us expand again, netting millions of dollars per year in new economic development for Indianapolis.”
Gen Con will return to Indianapolis August 1-4, 2019.